Monday, May 5, 2008

It's a bunny's life

I am so excited!!! We are experiencing wildlife in Montana like we never thought possible! It all started when we moved in to our new house. It seems that a pair of bunnies have been renting the backyard (although I don't think they are paying the same monthly fee we are) and have decided to set up a little "love nest" under a huge tree out back. Juliana and I were having fun chasing one of the bunnies around the yard a few weeks ago when I noticed she looked a little more round than usual. Yes, I am that desparate to get my old figure back that I am checking out bunny bodies to compare! Sad but true. Anyway, I digress... Momma bunny disappeared for a few days and I didn't think too much about it until over the weekend when I saw her digging a nest. It was the cutest thing - she would gather some grass and straw from the yard in her mouth and carry it over to a little hole she had dug under the tree branches. Then she would pluck some fur from her front and add it to the pile. I thought she must be working on a pretty impressive hairball until I researched a little on internet and found out that's just what they do. Kind of like their own home-made security blanket for their little ones, I guess. Yesterday we looked out the window and low and behold, Momma bunny was giving birth! She didn't ask for an epidural, so I guess everything turned out okay. We watched her for awhile and then came back out to find her on her merry little way again. No rest for the weary, ladies! She covered the hole back up, so I'm thinking, "Okay, was it just a really ugly little baby bunny and she didn't want to show him off yet?", but again, my internet research revealed that they cover the babies up for about a week and only come back to feed them once a day. (Landon would HOWL if I only fed him once over a 24 hour period!)

So, the bunny chronicles will continue. I am so anxious to see this new little life that will emerge from our backyard! It never ceases to amaze me how our Creator takes such good care of His creation, from newborn babies to the tiniest little newborn bunny! I can just picture Him waiting anxiously, too, to see what funny little antics the bunny will perform for Him.

Psalm 8 says "Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise...When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?"

Have a majestic, bunny-lovin' day!

No comments: